Immune to the Hard Sell

In anticipation of our move I requested quotes from several moving companies. I specifically told each and every one of them that I did not want phone calls, that we did not have a firm date and that the amount of stuff we move will be based on the cost to move it. I asked for basic quotes per sq. ft., lb., pod, or whatever their base measurement is. Out of a dozen or so companies I have received just one actual quote that I can work with. The rest completely ignored the specifics of my request and have instead sent a barrage of emails with requests to fill out a packing list. Even worse, on a daily basis (including the weekends), I receive upwards of five phone calls from these companies. It's going on 6 weeks and they still call. Because I firmly believe that in this day and age that I should not have to speak to anyone that I don't want to, what with technology and all, and seeing as how my initial request was by email, I have emailed these companies again and requested that the phone calls stop. I have further reiterated my original request with the condition that if they cannot send me, by email, a simple quote, I will not be doing business with them.

I do not respond well to someone who is trying to hard sell me anything. I am a car dealer's worst nightmare. I am the person who walks on the lot, points out the car that I want, how much I want to pay, and I tell them to make it happen, or I walk. I like to make it perfectly clear that they are doing me no favors by selling me anything. I'm not rude about it, I just don't want anyone's time to be wasted. And the hard sell is always designed to take advantage of you in some way.

There are a few of these moving companies that I have read great reviews about, but because of their inability to fulfill a simple request without annoying the hell out of me, I just can't give them my business.

The company that we'll go with based on their ability to handle a simple request, alone is Door to Door. We're also contemplating renting a truck and just driving. We'll see as it gets closer.

posted by Christine Hammond @ 9:04 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home